Friday, September 12, 2008

Despite Their Fears

Yeah, I know. 2 posts in one day. But there isn't a whole lot else to do, so why not blog.

Anyways, I've recently had a passion ignited for reading the writings of Old Testament prophets. I just started Ezra (I read Nahum and Zephaniah earlier this month) and found this amazing verse that really just spoke to my greatest struggle in life....fear.

Despite their fear of the peoples around them, they built the altar on its foundation and sacrificed burnt offerings on it to the LORD, both the morning and evening sacrifices.
~Ezra 3:3~

To give you some background, the Israelites have just returned from exile. They are adjusting to life back in their homeland.

They are in a place where old memories of hurt, suffering, pain and bondage abound. They are surrounded by people they don't trust and feel threatened by them. And justifiably so.

Yet, despite all of that, they still praise and honor their God by building an altar and sacrificing offerings to Him. And both in the morning and at night. They began their day and ended their day turning their hearts to the Lord.

What a testament of faith in action the Israelites have provided for us in this instance.

I know for me, fear is often the single greatest thing that keeps me from obedience to God as well as intimacy with Him. I have all these pent up fears of being hurt and wounded and allow those fears to paralyze me and prevent me from moving forward.

Because we are human, we will have fear. But it is when we allow that fear to control our lives that it becomes a problem.

We need to be honoring and praising God at all times, no matter our situation or circumstance. We need to continually be offering sacrifices to Him. Now times have changed drastically since the days of the Israelites, but the concept is still the same.

Anyways, I just wanted to share this gem of a passage with you all. I know I am not the only one who battles fear (especially of people) on a daily basis. When we turn it all back to Him and praise His name, He can do wonderful and amazing things in our lives. Don't allow a selfish thing like fear keep you from Him and Him from you.

God bless!

No comments: