Monday, September 24, 2007

Birthdays, Collarbones, Bad Drivers and Mean People

So, since I decided to wait 3 weeks between posts, I'm backed up on news and thoughts and such. I really do love to blog, but sometimes get overwhelmed with the amount I would like to post about and just avoid it all together. So here are some "news briefs" to update you.

  • On Labor Day, my dad was out doing his normal morning bike ride with his buddies. 2 miles before the end of a good 60 mile ride, his friend hit a rock and went down. Because my dad was only about a foot or so behind him (they were drafting), my dad had nowhere to go but over his friend. And he landed squarely on his shoulder. Now when most people break their collarbone, it cracks in the middle, the two pieces kinda slide over each other and it heals like that. Pretty simple and a recovery time of about 3 weeks or so. Well, since my dad can't do anything simple, he ended up shattering part of it and the two pieces had a significant separation between them. When my dad took his riding jersey off in the hospital I could literally see the bone sticking up (not breaking the skin though). So the only way to fix that kind of break is through surgery. So a week later, my dad had surgery in which they used some kind of tape to bring the bone back down, put the ligaments back where they needed to be and removed some pieces of bone. So now, he is on the mend but will be another 4 weeks with his arm in a sling, several weeks of PT after that and then maybe in about 8-10 weeks, he will be allowed to ride his bike again. He hates that! And a side effect of him being out is that him training me to be a rider has been put on hold. Minor issue, but I think we are both disappointed.
  • My internship is going okay. Sometimes its a little boring because I'm just in training classes (helpful, but just tedious) or doing reading activities (some of which I've done nine thousand of in grad school). My time out in the field observing and participating is slowly increasing though so thats good and interesting. They switched me to an English speaking person to shadow, so that has been much easier for me to learn and understand what is going on. I've seen some interesting things out in the field, some really heart-wrenching. Anyways, everyone at my internship seems to be very nice. There is one difficult lady that I am training with, but mainly just because she never ever stops talking and it usually has nothing to do with what we are discussing, but she is still sweet and means well. The one thing I really really really hate about my internship is the driving. Ugh! The other drivers are horrible, nasty and just really bad! Complaining about it doesn't do anything, but it makes me feel a little better.
  • I went to substitute teacher orientation last week. The lady who taught it was stinkin' hilarious. Unfortunately, Cy-Fair does their subs kinda screwy and I won't be able to work for 3 more weeks and won't get paid until November 15. Ugh. But it will be good and will help me save some money to pay back loans, move out on my own and things like that.
  • I got to thinking the other day about society. More specifically, just how mean people have gotten. I was listening to a story on the news about something that happened in the '50s and realizing that nothing like that would every happen today. Nearly everyone seems to be out for themselves and doing only what benefits them. I dunno. I know people did mean things then. But it seems people are meaner to each other these days.
  • I celebrated my 24th birthday 2 days ago. Pretty fun. Feels really old! When you are 23, it still feels like you are kinda young and close to college and whatever. But when you are 24, thats a big kid age. How did I get here?!?! Anyways, on Friday night, my family and I went out to celebrate. We went to Pei Wei (my favorite!) for dinner and then drove to The Woodlands to get Cheescake Factory for dessert. Both so delicious! After we ate our cheescake, we went on this boat tour thing around the town center area. I think they are kinda building it up like the River Walk in San Antonio. On Saturday, my family put me to work because my parents are trying to sell their house and the realtor was coming over to take pictures for the internet and flyers and things like that. Our house officially went on sale on Saturday, so my parents are very excited. That night, Jenny, Audrey, Amy Sistrunk, my brother and I drove down to Kemah and ate at the mexican restaurant there (don't recommend it - my nachos were cold and untasty!), walked around and rode some rides including a very fast, very scary roller coaster (not a good idea after dinner!). Overall pretty fun and it was nice to be out with my good buddies and my baby brother.

I think thats its for now. I'll post some cute pictures from my birthday weekend soon as well as some cute ones of Ella that I took in some moments of boredom.

God bless!

No comments: