Monday, October 01, 2007

Craig Biggio and Preemies

No, those two have nothing to do with each other. Just what has occurred in my life in the past two days.

Yesterday, I watched Biggio's last game ever (and the Astros season closer) on tv with my mom. Super sad I couldn't be there in person. I like Biggio because he is a classy guy and conducts himself in a classy way on and off the field. A role model I feel that truly deserves to be one. I also like that while he probably has a couple more good playing years left in him, he has decided to step aside for the sake of his kids and his wife. In my opinion, there's nothing more manly than that. He is laying aside all kinds of fame and glory for the sake of his family. Truly admirable. And will be very missed by Astros fans everywhere.



Today at my internship, our Child Find Coordinator (Kim - she's so sweet!) took us (the new kids) to Ben Taub Hospital to tour the NICU. We went to the Level III nursery (the most serious kids) and got to walk around. I've never seen a preemie, so it was so interesting (and sad) to see that. They didn't even look real. I was also surprised they let us get so close but I'm glad they did. I am so fascinated my the medical world, so this visit (although sobering) was right up my alley. It was also sad to hear some of the stories there because Ben Taub is a community hospital (where the people with no money/insurance are sent), so a lot of these families have sad stories anyways and now these precious babies are fighting for their lives.

Anyways, thats all really. Just some tidbits I wanted to share. God bless!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I had no idea you were a Biggio fan! I think he's amazing and how I would have given anything to see his last game too! :) Anyway, hope you're having a great day! Miss you Lara!