Monday, December 10, 2007

Happy Trails To You

So I took a risk this weekend. I went camping (thats not the risk - I love camping!) with my new church group not knowing very many people very well (there's the risk - if you know me, you know that this is a pretty scary thing for me!). TOO MUCH FUN! I am so glad I went. Here's how it all went down.

We met at some girls apartment on Friday evening, packed all our stuff in and headed out to Stephen F. Austin State Park (near Sealy and San Felipe - ridden my bike there a couple times). I rode in the car with 3 other girls and they were so great. Two of us were new and the other had moved away a couple months ago but had come in town to go camping with us. The other girl had been going for a while and caught us all up on what was going on with the group. The other new girl actually knew Ashley and had gone to Dulles HS with her and their brothers had played baseball together (Ashley, I'll tell you about this later!). The other girl that had come back in town was so precious. And she made me feel so much better about my decision to teach. She had just finished a Masters in Public Health and then decided that really what she wanted to do was teach and now teaches Kindergarden in Weatherford (near Ft. Worth). So I'm not the only silly one that gets a Masters in something random (although, mine is related) and then decides to teach. The girl that had gone to the group for a while is a middle school teacher in Ft. Bend and she was telling me all about FBISD in case I decide to apply there.

Anyways, after some missed exits and turns, we finally got to the campsite. We all just kinda sat around the fire and talked and then went to bed. It took me like 4 hours to fall asleep that night. I kinda knew that was gonna happen anyways, but man was that a long 4 hours! It didn't help that I was also sleeping right on top of a tree root.

The next morning we all woke up. Some went running (haha... not me! give me a bike any day, but no running!) and some of us just got ready for the day. I figured since a shower (we use the term shower here very loosely) was available, I might as well take one so I at least start out clean.

After that, we all had breakfast (eggs, sausage, fruits, etc.) and then went on a hike. It was fun. We got some good pics (although, I don't have any - my camera is currently in South Africa with my dad). Then we came back and ate lunch. It was chicken noodle soup. The girl who did the food thought it was going to be much colder on the trip so hence the warm and hearty food. However, it was like 80 degrees. Oi.

Anyways, after lunch we kinda sat around and then took off to play soccer and some California kickball (a kinda crazy mixed up version of kickball - you need to play sometime!) It was fun but pretty warm outside. After that we came back and sat around for a little bit. Cooling off mainly. Then we played Charades and that was A LOT of fun and very funny. We were supposed to go on a caroling hay ride after that but for whatever reason, we did not. Oh well.

We then returned to our campsite and had hobo dinners for dinner. If you have never tried one of these you need to! All you do is put an uncooked hamburger patty, some mixed vegetables and some frozen french fries all in some foil, sprinkle with seasoning salt, wrap it all up and then stick it on some coals for a while until done. After they are done, you can put ketchup or cheese or whatever on it and enjoy! Surprisingly good. I really didn't expect much but I liked it. And they weren't too greasy or unhealthy either because nothing was fried.

After that, we had some really good praise and worship time and sat around the fire just talking and fellowshipping. We turned in fairly early that night because we were all so exhausted. I slept pretty well despite the circumstances I think because I was so exhausted.

We woke up the next morning a little damp from all the humidity and dew. We kinda packed up our stuff, ate some lil smokies and waffles (eggos heated up over the fire - who knew?) for breakfast and then broke down and cleaned up our sites. Just as we were leaving, it started to drizzle so it was perfect timing!

So that was my fun weekend. I really really had a good time. Unfortunately, I have returned with some pretty bad chest congestion which will hopefully clear up soon. We shall see. The people in my group are so great. They are funny, honest, not afraid to be themselves, accepting and overall just wonderful and most importantly, Godly. I just love being with them! Community with them is such an answer to prayer and I'm so excited to get more involved and to develop deeper relationships with them. Last night at church, Shane and Shane and Bethany Dillon (who is engaged to the not married Shane) led worship and it was SO amazing! I need to download or buy some of their music because it is very powerful and they are just amazing. After church, we all headed over to Pei Wei (yay!). Again, great fellowship! Also, dinner after church often brings out more people in our class and some that aren't as involved so it was good to meet more new people and find out about their lives. Jenny also got to go with me last night so I had a good time with her and she calmed my nerves in bad traffic and confusing directions!

Okay, so that was a long post. I have more to say but will save it for later. Hope y'all are doing well and congrats to my Baylor and UNT friends who are finished with finals! Yay!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I am so glad that you had fun on your camping trip! I wish I could have gone. I am quite curious to hear who you met?!? It's a small world. See ya Friday...do you want to do dinner?