Thursday, December 20, 2007

A "Mary" Christmas

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." ~Luke 10:38-42~


The Lord has really laid this on my heart during this season. Especially today. Like I said, I tend to get really wrapped up in the going-ons of the holiday season (gift buying, wrapping, food planning and preparation, etc.) and forget myself and what I really need to be doing. I think I do this in life in general a lot. I get distracted like Martha. It is ever so hard for me to have the posture of Mary when my sinful nature tends to bring out the Martha in me. And I get frustrated with others when they aren't doing what I think they should be doing. And the list goes on. Martha and I seem to be twins separated at birth (and by several centuries...haha). I just love this passage because it resonates so deeply within me, almost as if it was written just for my heart.

But what I really need to be doing is laying at His feet, soaking Him in. I'm in a season of a lot of changes, decisions, etc. and I need to be there now more than ever. I can't figure out what He wants from me if I'm not willing to listen and am consistently pouring myself into various other things in my environment.

So I'm praying this season that my Christmas is more "Mary" and less "Martha" (although, I'm sure Martha was a beautiful person as well but just as conflicted as the rest of us!).

One prayer request - I found out yesterday that some sisters in KXA who are a few years younger than me unexpectedly lost their father on Monday. And not only is it just these two sisters, but they have four other siblings as well. I can't imagine what their mother (or any of them for that matter) is going through. I don't know these girls very well at all (they were pledging as I was graduating) but my heart aches for them and their family. So just be in prayer for them as not only is such a loss so devastating, but especially so close to Christmas.

Hope y'all are enjoying the holidays so far! God bless!

No comments: