Friday, December 21, 2007

Santa Paws

I was subbing for this really great third grade class the other day and their assignment was to make up their own version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. Some of them were having some difficulty with the assignment, so I did the assignment myself and here's what I came up with. Its not that great and it doesn't really rhyme but thats okay. The name of the Santa character - Santa Paws - was also not my own creation. I had just put Santa Dog for lack of any other idea and one of the little boys in the class came up to me and said, "What about Santa Paws for your story? Get it? Santa Paws instead of Santa Claus!" I told him it was such a great idea that I was going to use it. And that I did. Now why didn't I think of that? Oh and this is written from Ella's point of view, of course.



'Twas the Bark Before Christmas



'Twas the bark before Christmas

And all through the doghouse

Not a creature was stirring

Not even a cat.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care

In hopes that Santa Paws would soon be there.

The puppies were snoring all snug in their beds

As visions of treats and bones danced in their head,

And Mom in her human bed and I in my dog bed

Had just settled down after much gingerbread.

When out on the roof there arose such a clatter,

I barked from my bed to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash

Barked at the shutters

As Mom threw up the sash.

The moon shown bright on the now yellow snow

And made all things shiny and icy below.

When what to my big puppy eyes should appear,

But a giant flying bone and eight tiny puppies so dear:

With a little old driver, who had big furry paws

I knew in a moment it must be Santa Paws.

More rapid than kitties his coursers they came.

And he whistled, and barked, and called them by name:

"Now Fido, now Cookie! Now Snoopy! And Sparky!

On Clifford! On Spot! On Bruiser and Barky!

To the top of the doghouse, to the top of the wall!

Now dash away, dash away, dash away all!

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,

When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.

So up to the house-top the puppies they flew

With a sleigh full of dog treats, and Santa Paws too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard but not saw

The sniffing and scratching of each little paw.

As I drew in my head, and was turning around,

Down the chimney Santa Paws came with a bound.

He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his paws,

And his fur was all dirty from rolling in soot just because.

A bundle of bones he had flung on his back,

And he looked like a peddler, just opening his pack.

His eyes-how they twinkled!

Those big eyes how merry!

His nose was all wet and looked much like a cherry!

His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,

And the fur of his snout was as white as the snow.

The big rawhide bone he held tight in his teeth,

And some more treats by his feet just beneath.

He had a sweet little face and a rather plump belly,

That shook when he walked, from eating too much jelly!

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly ole pal,

And I howled when I saw him, for I'm not a quite gal!

A wink of his eye and a cock of his head,

Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He barked not a bark, but went straight to his work,

And filled all the stockings, then turned with a jerk.

And putting his paw right up to his nose,

And giving a yip, up the chimney he rose!

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a bark,

And away they all flew for a quick walk in the park.

But I heard him bark twice as he flew out of sight,

"Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"


Anyways, I wanted to share what fun I was having subbing. Again, I realize this isn't that great (although with some more time spent on it could probably be really cute). I'm just bored and post just about anything. Hope y'all are doing well! God bless!

No comments: