Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Holding on for dear life!

So, have you ever been tubing (like the tube tied to a speed boat and it drags you behind it)? I've been a couple times and its a crazy, exhilirating, frightening (and occassionally painful) experience. You hold onto those handles at the front of the tube for dear life and basically go wherever the driver of the boat decides he/she wants to take you and how fast/slow he/she goes. Sometimes you fly off and sometimes (this hasn't really ever happened to me) you hang on until its the next person's turn. Fun is had by all.

The above experience is what I am equating life with today. I got an email this morning from Capernaum (Young Life) saying that the intern position in Seattle had just been filled (after being posted for 2 months) but that my application would be emailed to the national office in case anyone was looking for someone like me. I was okay with that and knew God had it under control (and was a little scared of Seattle and the rain there anyways), so didn't really give it much more thought. Well that changed tonight during class. I looked down at my phone and realized I had a missed call and a message from a number I didn't recognize. So during our break, I listened to my message and almost fell out of my chair when I heard it. It was the regional director for Young Life in Orange County, CA. The first thought that came to my head was the show "Real Desperate Housewives of Orange County" being as that is my only knowledge of that part of the country (I went once when I was 8 and all I remember is spraining my ankle when jumping from the top of a bunk bed) so yeah. Basically, they just have opened a position to work with Capernaum (again - thats the division of Young Life that works with youth with disabilities - right up my alley) for their club of 45-50 youth. And get this - its not only an intern position - its an area director position. I am so humbled that they would even consider me. No job offers have been made or anything and I haven't called the guy back yet (thats tomorrow morning so pray for me!) but how cool! I would have to talk to my advisor to make sure this position would count as my field experience/internship but I think it would because not only is it working with the kids (which I'm really most excited about), but also with their parents, other volunteers, donors, committees, etc. Now a move to CA definitely scares me a tiny bit (okay maybe more than a tiny bit) but ya' know - God's got it under control. He knows I'm scared even about the possibility of this happening. I want to follow Him wherever (even if I feel like I'm on a wild ride!) but thats exciting to me. I haven't felt this excited about something in a long time. Even though its just a thought right now, its still exciting. I guess I just ask that you, my faithful readers, pray that God's will be made known to me as I walk through these steps, that my fear and anxiety would not control those steps but that I would let God do that and that I am obedient no matter what. I don't want to be distracted or afraid of the "wind" like Peter was in the story I posted yesterday but fully believing and keeping my focus on Him and not being of little faith as well as being okay with abandoning all to follow Him.

Anyways, I do want to profoundly apologize if all this has come as a surprise to you because a lot of you are my close friends. Actually, none of this really even happened until like 2 or 3 days ago, so its a surprise to me too. I just happened to be on Young Life's website looking for a job for a friend of mine and started looking at other jobs on there too and like I said, felt compelled to apply. I beg your forgiveness for my lack of communication but between the endless amounts of time I am putting in on my school work these days and the fast pace that life is changing at these days, I haven't really had time to update anyone (my parents don't even know this stuff yet - my dad just knew I had put in an application for Seattle but thats as far as it goes) so yeah.

Hope life is well for y'all (if I move, can I still say y'all?? even though I'm not Texan by nature, I still like to say it) and God bless! Mucho love!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

that is sooo sweet!!!! :) i haven't been down to the oc yet, but hear it's very cool and hopefully will get a chance to see it at some point this summer :) that's where alicia lopez is from so she might know more...california is amazing so you should definitely move here...i'm kinda thinking about it myself...:)

Jeremy & Chelsea said...

I think you would love California.... and being that we couldn't be in the US and be farther apart, that means that the plane ride might actually be long enough to actually still get the free peanuts and maybe just maybe long enough for some good ole' plane food.