Monday, July 16, 2007

Zones of Comfort

My comfort zone is hard to define. Maybe its because I have several that somewhat negate each other's existence.

My first major comfort zone is being in the company of family and friends. I like having much of my family and friends within a few hours driving distance of me and/or being able to talk to them pretty much whenever I want. I love closeness to people both physically and emotionally, so to abandon that is hard for me.

My other major comfort zone is traveling and being somewhere international. Not because I selfishly just like to travel and have adventures (which isn't entirely untrue), but because I don't like living in the U.S. sometimes. There is such a busy-ness to life here that no one seems to be able to escape. I am more comfortable sitting with a group of international friends and discussing things with them than I am sitting with a group of American friends. Its weird. I know. But if you know my background and what environment I grew up in, you might understand this one a little bit better. I did grow up overseas, but not completely immersed in another culture (or what you traditionally think of as culture). I grew up around many Americans, but I wouldn't consider the environment I grew up in as a typical American upbringing. Growing up in ARAMCO was a vastly different and almost indescribable way of life (and one I don't think is replicable anywhere else). Its kinda like the Aggies. Nobody understands them or their seemingly insane commitment to their beloved school while simultaneously, they can't adequately describe it to those outside of it.

Anyways, I think thats what has been troubling me a lot lately. I am going to do my internship for my Masters and complete my Masters degree. I've resolved to that much. But am I going to use my Masters training immediately? I've given a lot of options some thought. Nothing solid yet, but just thoughts that have been mulled over in my head. Pray that God will make things clear for me and the unique purpose He has for my life. I do not want to get stuck in the "beaten path" that I feel many people my age get stuck in and then look back when they turn 30 and don't like what they see. I want to look back and have lived beyond myself and feel like this season of my life is worthy of the calling. Just pray that my heart will be cleared and that as I attempt to relentlessly pursue Christ and His calling for my life, I will be willing to do whatever that requires.

Anyways, now for an update. It is looking more and more like my move next month will be to Houston. I have mixed feelings about that and nothing is set in stone right now. But thats where the doors seem to be opening up and I am assuming that is where God is calling me right now.

God bless and stay cool! Now that the rain is gone, the Texas heat is on full force...sick!

No comments: