Saturday, August 04, 2007

Confessions of a pack rat

Since I move nearly every year, there is something I sort of rediscover about myself every time I move.

I AM A RIDICULOUS PACK RAT!

I save anything and everything. Every piece of paper has a special meaning for whatever reason and I keep filling all these Rubbermaid containers with all these papers and what not.

And I don't even know why.

I guess I really like memories and stories. In the back of my mind, I want to sit down with my kids and/or grandkids on rainy days and pull out these Rubbermaid containers (maybe someday, I'll get a really cool trunk to replace the ugly plastic) and just go through these precious pieces of papers and tell my kids the stories behind them. Somehow, I don't think my kids will have that long of an attention span! Haha... Its so weird that I do this because my mom is the exact opposite. We constantly battled growing up over her trying to throw away my precious memory items. She looks at cards once, maybe lets them sit on the counter for a few days and then tosses them. I put the cards up on a bulletin board for a couple of months then take them down and put them in the Rubbermaid containers, never to be thrown away because for some reason, they are precious memories to me.

I think my lack of ability to throw things out (its not just cards folks - its pictures, tshirts, notes, certificates, little trinkets and really anything else you can think of - I truly am ridiculous) has more to do with my difficulty in letting things go and moving on. I am constantly replaying memories from the past few years (and sometimes beyond that) over and over in my head. I have a hard time moving on from things that mean a lot to me - take Baylor for instance. I still mourn the loss of college, even a year later. Every time I drive through Waco, I want to be back in college and doing the fun things I did in college with my fun friends.

Anyways, I had to take a break from the endless piles of junk I've managed to collect over the past year, so I decided to blog about my experience amid these piles of junk. I think Pack Rats Anonymous should probably be the next step.... hehe... I really need help!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a pack rat...you should try just having one memory box. That's what I do, and can't keep anymore.