Thursday, August 23, 2007

What is going on here?

So, I moved to Houston a week ago, pretty sure I was going to have an internship and ready to finish my masters and get on with "real" life. Well, the people I was pretty sure I was going to be interning with haven't contacted me in over four weeks, my application has been in for 2 or 3 weeks and they will not reply to my emails. I thought moving here was the right thing. I have a back up plan but am not sure if I should put it into action. I could take two internet classes to finish my degree, get certified to teach Special Ed and substitute teach this year until I get a job (most likely next year). There are serious financial considerations to take into account (textbooks, insurance after I finish my degree, paying off loans, etc.). I know it is in the Lord's hands. I know He has a plan. I know I'm at this point for a reason. But I also know I need to make a decision as classes start on Monday for UNT. I need to register and order my textbooks soon if I do that. I also need to sign up for certification classes and take an entrance test if I want to teach. Do I change what I thought I was supposed to be doing. Do I wait longer? I'm just not sure. I want to make a wise, God-directed decision, but it is so hard. Just pray that my heart will be open to His guidance and that I will feel a peace about the decision I do make. And pray that I will act in faith. Teaching was something I thought I never would do. But maybe that is what God wants. Anyways, just pray. A decision needs to be made in the next day or so, so yeah, I'll be on my knees!

In other news, I will be riding my first bike ride this weekend. I will be driving up to Wichita Falls, TX with my dad, brother and some of their biking buddies to ride in the Hotter 'N Hell 100 (I will only be riding the 25 mile loop, however - 100 miles is a bit much for a beginner!). I'm pretty pumped. And yes, I will be wearing the cute spandex that you see all those crazy bikers wearing. I'm not so excited about that, but if you don't wear it, you are an outcast on these rides! You think I'm kidding. Hehe... Also, my dad has this guy that he works with who has a son my age. He will be there also (he's a cyclist as well). My dad has been trying to get me to meet him for six months. Apparently he's a nice guy. Should be interesting... not a situation I am entirely comfortable with, but I am really trying to challenge myself and do things that scare me because I too often get stuck in my very narrow comfort zone. Oh, and just so you know, I will not have to wear my spandex in front of him. We are meeting him tomorrow night at the spaghetti dinner. He is riding on his own the next day. Whew....that might have been a super awkward situation! Spandex = awkward!

Went to an Astros game tonight with my parents. So fun! It was $1 hot dog night. I just love deals like that! I don't even like hot dogs that much, but had to eat them because it was the best deal going there! I'm a sucker for deals like that. The Astros lost (seems to be a trend this season...) but it was still fun. My dad splurged a little and got us pretty good seats on the first base side. I cheered. I did the wave. I sang "Deep in the Heart of Texas" and "Take Me Out to the Ball Game". Fun was had by all!

God bless!

No comments: