Thursday, January 24, 2008

How Can This Happen? But It Does...

I asked myself that the other day after coming home from subbing. I was subbing in a Life Skills classroom yesterday and there was a student in there who's story really touched me and got me thinking. This student was in a wheelchair, probably functioning on a 2 month old level at 8-9 years old. I mean, the highest level thing she could do was press a button on a toy for music to come on. Not much else. She kinda yelled/screamed constantly and put anything and everything in her mouth. Not an atypical student for a Life Skills classroom. Her abilities (or lack thereof) weren't what phased me.

It was a conversation with the aide in there that I had later. The aide mentioned briefly that this child had brain damage. Okay. I asked if it was through a car accident or an illness or what. The aide's voice got real low and she began to share this child's story.

This child was normal when she was younger. Walking, talking, etc. But someone (not sure who - the aide just said "a lady") beat this child. To this point. Within an inch of her life. And she was in a coma for a year. And this is the end result.

Oh how my heart breaks. And I wonder how one human being can possibly do this to another human being. A child. But it does happen....and I've heard similar stories before.

I know this is the exception rather than the rule, but I also know that it happens far more often than we know and/or prefer to admit. I might have students with her story in my classroom in the coming years.

I hate that. But its true life. Its so far beyond me and the life I know and so difficult to wrap my mind around. But its there.

Sobering....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's so sad lara..poor thing. i hope that lady got some kind of consequence/punishment for her actions. how could anyone do that to a child- or a human being at all? it's tragic. well, hope you don't see that too often..that would be tough to see all the time.

love you, hope you are doing well, later~ audrey