Monday, January 14, 2008

New

Lately, I've felt my heart being prodded to try some new, kinda daunting, things in my life.

One thing I am trying new is running. I've tried it before and been miserable. Completely miserable. But now its not just to lose some extra pounds (although that is highly motivating!) but just to be healthy in general. I've mapped out about a 1.3 mile route to start out with through my neighborhood and will be trying that today. I just think I would feel less tired, have more energy and just feel better about myself if I started engaging in some sort of regular exercise. Now I exercise but its usually random activities and at random intervals. I really like raquetball but once my brother's guest pass at the gym expired, I had no one to play with. My dad likes going to spin class at the gym and its hard to pull him away. Bicycle riding is fun, but I do not enjoy it on my own because a) there is no one to draft off in the wind, b) I am afraid of getting lost, c) its dangerous to wear your ipod when cycling because you can't hear traffic, d) I am still a tad bit nervous around the traffic in Houston, and d) Ella can't go. So giving running a try just seems like a good option to me. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Its going to be hard to be regular at it right now between my work and training schedule, but hopefully I can get a good base going.

The other new thing I am trying in life is keeping a notebook of letters to my future spouse. I've tried it like 2 times before but felt kinda silly and awkward about it. Well last night, Pastor Greg talked about how he did it for his wife and recommended that the singles in the room think about doing it as well. So I figured why not give it another shot? Plus, I've been thinking about the topic lately, so this is a good way to focus those energies and not allow them to consume me. So I wrote one today and didn't feel too awkward this time around. So this too, we will see how it goes.

I didn't post last week so I didn't get to put up the quote from my planner. So this week, you get two! Yay!

"Never change when love has found its home." ~Sextus Propertius~

"There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved." ~George Sand~

Also, I have decided to start posting some yummy recipes for you to try because I love to cook and I want everyone to share in my joy! Haha... here's one I fed my family a few weeks ago that was a hit and very very easy!



Foil-Pack Chicken and Artichoke Dinner (from www.kraftfoods.com - amazing recipes here!)

Ingredients:
3 cups instant white rice uncooked
3 cups warm water
6 small boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 lbs.)
1 can (13 3/4 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup light zesty italian dressing
1/4 cup pesto

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix rice and water. Spoon evenly into center of each of six (I only used four) large sheets of foil. Top each with one chicken breast (I cut the chicken into chunks and thought the chicken was much more tender and easier to eat). Cover evenly with artichokes and tomatoes. Then drizzle with combined dressing and pesto.

Bring up foil sides. Double fold top and sides to seal packet. Leave room for heat circulation inside. Place packets in single layer on baking sheet.

Bake 30-35 minutes. Remove packets from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut slits in each packet to release steam before opening.

I hope y'all like this as much as I did!

PS - I don't like tomatoes at all so I just pushed them aside but they didn't ruin the flavor of the rest of my dinner. FYI for those of you who dislike tomatoes as much as I do.

God bless!

No comments: